Monday, March 29, 2010

True Christians


One of the most common points that atheists make against Christianity is that Christians do bad things. They love to bring up the crusades and the Salem witch trials. They say Christianity is a poison, and it's bringing down our society. Most atheists, however, will admit that Jesus was probably the best human being that ever lived. I think Gandhi really summed up their point when he said, "I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. You're Christians are so unlike your Christ."

I almost find this amusing, because it is so ironic. Allow me to explain. How would you define a Christian? Someone who is doing their best to live like Christ. Christ himself tells us in John 14:15 that if we love him, we are to keep his commandments. If someone is not living their life how Jesus commanded, that person is obviously not a Christian. So if a person is doing immoral things, such as murder, robbery, fornication, using foul language, not attending church, drinking, etc.... that person, by definition, is not a Christian. So how is it possible to say, "I like Christ, but not Christians." I think a better way to have said that would be, "I like Christ, but not people who claim to be Christians, but in reality, just do whatever they want."

It's pretty simple. You are either a Christian, or you're not. It can't be both ways. "Christian" isn't just a title that we wear around, it is a way of life. There is no such thing as a Christian who doesn't live his life to serve Christ. That would be like saying someone is a married bachelor. It's a contradiction, and therefore couldn't exist. True Christians are those who choose to live their entire life based on the teachings of Christ. True Christians are the best people to ever live.
-Colton

3 comments:

  1. I agreed with every bit of this posting up until the last sentence. "True Christians are the best people to ever live." This statement, I believe is contradictory to how we as Christians should be approaching our unique situation. If we have this holier-than-thou mindset, we are setting ourselves up for failure. See how long this mindset carries you when you must testify to a lost soul. I'm willing to say it will not go far. We are all the imperfect creations of a higher authority. Jesus was not a Christian, and surely no Christians that have come since He walked the Earth are better. A person's character cannot be measured by their religion. Their salvation can, but good people exist in every corner of the Earth in different religious sects, or no sect at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm sorry you feel that way... I just happen to believe that Jesus was the best human being that ever lived. I also think that the best life one could live would be to immitate Jesus in every aspect of life. That is exactly what Christians do. I'm sorry you disagree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ?...I think you're missing the forest for the trees here. I never stated that Christians shouldn't attempt to be Christ-like. I don't disagree with that. Remember though, the only thing separating a Christian from a lost soul is the grace of God. Having a conceited attitude towards those without salvation is quite possibly the most counter-productive thing Christians can do to Christ's message. Our purpose is to spread the gospel. If we are promoting this idea of superiority, then we have truly lost our way to sin.

    ReplyDelete